[Step 1] Adding a Signal Controller (SC)
You can access the SCs window in PTV Vissim user interface by going to “Signal Control > Signal Controllers” menu.
Then, “Signal Controllers” window (SCs window) will be loaded as shown in the figure below. The window might contain a list of existing SCs which are already defined in the model.
On the SCs window, first, look for configuration buttons on the top of the list. Click the green add button () to create a new SC or click the red remove button () to delete existing SC or click the edit button () to modify or view existing SCs.
As stated above, click the green add button (+) to create a new SC and the “Signal Controller” window will open. On this window, you will define 1) SC Number, 2) SC Type, and 3) SC Configuration. All other parameters can be adjusted if needed.
This is a unique identification number assigned to each SC. This number will be used to connect SC and other objects (e.g. signal head, detector, etc.). If you do not have the SC number defined yet, it is recommended to use a number identical to any type of predefined intersection ID.
There are many different types of SCs built-in to PTV Vissim, which can be accessed by clicking on the “Type” dropdown box. Look for “Ring Barrier Controller (RBC)” and select it unless you have a need for another SC type available in the selection. RBC is selected as a default signal controller in the North America region and this guidebook will only describe details on RBC and no other SC types.
Exercise (Download Example File)
1) Open “Step_1_Add_SC” folder and load “Stringfellow_Rd_Step_1.inpx” file.
2) Go to “Signal Control > Signal Controllers” to open “Signal Controllers” window.
4) Update following data in the signal controller window:
- Number : 4
- Name : Stringfellow Rd @ Fair Lakes Pkwy
- Type : Ring Barrier Controller
5) Click on “Browse” button for “Data file” field in “Controller configuration” tab and look for “RBC_1.rbc” file in the same folder as the Vissim input file. If you leave the data file field blank and save, you may receive an error message mentioning about an incomplete file path.
6) Click “OK” button to save.